Rolex 6694 Oysterdate
- In-house cal.1215 manual-winding movement with date indication at 3.
- 17 jewels, 18000 A/h, 58 hours of power reserve.
- Steel case with screw-down caseback in mint condition.
- 34 mm (without crown) / 42 mm (lug-to-lug) / 11 mm (thick) / 19 mm (between lugs).
- Original Rolex signed screw-down winding crown.
- Acrylic crystal with magnifying lens for date in good condition.
- Serial number 936XXX dates this watch to 1963, matching II.63 engraving in caseback.
- New brown crocodile grain leather strap.
- Steel buckle.
- If you prefer this watch on a bracelet click here.
- Original and very well preserved black dial with yellow gold applied hour markers with tritium lume plots above.
- Date window at 3 with sought-after open 6 and 9 disc.
- Original yellow gold stick hours and minutes hands and sweep seconds. Hours and minutes hands with tritium lume matching markers patina.
- Gilt printings for “Rolex Oysterdate Precision T Swiss T and” and minute track.
A bit of history about the Rolex 6694 (extract from Fratello Watches)
The Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision was a longtime mainstay in the company’s lineup. It was introduced as the 6694 in the early 1960’s and made up until the late 1980’s; blogs show the model in the catalog as late as 1988. These models were extremely popular in Europe, but less so in the flashier, Sub and President-wearing, USA.
The thing, though, that really sparks is that these Precisions were manual wind watches. Aside from Daytonas, Cellini models and some older Explorers and Air Kings, it’s interesting to realize that Rolex produced a manual wind model for so long and until so late.
Inside this interesting Rolex 6694 beats the workhorse, 17-jewel caliber 1215 movement with non-quickset date. It hums along at 18,000 and must have been quite accurate when it was introduced. It should be noted that it is not a chronometer certified movement. As mentioned, the watch is an “Oyster”, so it does contain a screw-down crown and is, or was, water resistant to 100m. Despite the existence of the aforementioned manual wind Rolex models, it is not a normal experience to unscrew a crown for daily winding. In fact, the concern of wear to the crown tube is probably the most common question on forums, but the concern is apparently unfounded as the build construction is robust and inexpensive to replace. Winding is a nice experience and the movement has enough tension to give it a solid, well-built feel.
Aesthetically, this Rolex is timeless and gorgeous. It has classy, elegant air looks that seem suitable for the tennis court, a business meeting or any number of casual settings. The dial has deep black finish paired with such simple, slender gold hands, indices and the Rolex crown. Small lume dots sit outside of each index and a simple minute track borders the dial itself. The dial is of extremely high quality. The idea of using gold on the dial may seem dated or out of order on a stainless watch, but here again, the way the dial picks up the color somehow makes it all look harmonious.
When will I receive my new vintage watch?
We try to dispatch every order as soon as possible, but in some cases it can take us up to 48 hours to prepare your goods for shipment. Unless otherwise instructed by you, we will ship your watch with the Spanish Postal Service (link) and we’ll provide you with a tracking reference as soon as the package is delivered at the Post Office. The average shipment within the EU will take approximately 6 working days.
Is the shipment insured?
Yes. Shipping cost includes insurance equivalent to the price you paid for the watch. It does not include shipping costs.
How can shipping costs be the same when the value of the watches differ?
We take charge of the difference between the cost of the insurance and what we charge you. We calculate shipping costs based on a very low insurance value so we can offer you a simple checkout process. The remaining cost of insurance is deducted from our margin.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards, bank wire transfers and Paypal. We rely on Paypal’s secure and trust-worthy platform to manage all credit card payments.
Can I use my new vintage watch as an everyday wearer?
Sure. We only sell watches that are in full-working condition. However you must bear in mind that these are vintage pieces that may be 40, 50 or 70 years old. You can enjoy your new watch regularly under everyday life conditions. We do not recommend wearing your new vintage watch while performing sports or intense physical activities. Also, we cannot guarantee waterproofness in this kind of watches.
Where do you source the watches you sell?
In the land of the magic Unicorns, where everything is joy and bliss. No, seriously, we find most of our pieces at local auctions and flea markets. Some times we discover exceptional watches for sale at specialized forums. Occasionally, they come to us through their former owners who just want to sell them. In the end, we try to bring the most attractive and singular vintage watches to you.
Shipping & Payments
All orders are shipped using Spain’s Post service. You will be provided with a tracking reference number once your order has been shipped. Goods are duly packed and protected to prevent damages.
Please be aware that we may need up to 48 hours to dispatch your orders if they are placed on weekdays. No dispatch on weekends and holidays.
We accept he following safe and trustworthy payment methods:
- Paypal: Pay with credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Amex) or with your own PayPal account. You will be redirected to the PayPal website after confirming your order. There you will have to confirm the payment. After the amount has cleared successfully, you will be sent back to our shop and receive an email from PayPal with your payment confirmation. Your order will be processed as soon as we have received the verification of your payment. Our system will email our order confirmation to you.
- Bank wire transfer: If you would like to transfer funds directly from your bank account, please choose this method when processing your order. Once you complete your order, you will receive an email with bank account details. Your order will be processed as soon as we have received the verification of your payment. Our system will email our order confirmation to you.