Rolex Air-King ref. 5500
- Rolex 1520 automatic movement.
- 26 jewels, 19800 A/h, 44 hours of power reserve.
- Stainless steel case case with screw-down caseback in goo condition showing some signs of wear and a small dent next to the crown.
- 34 mm (without crown) / 43 mm (lug-to-lug) / 12 mm (thick) / 19 mm (between lugs).
- Rolex signed steel winding crown excellent condition.
- Acrylic crystal in great condition.
- Screw-down caseback signed and engraved with ref. 1002 on the inside.
- Serial number 5.299.711 which dates the watch to 1978.
- Rolex signed brown lizard strap in excellent condition
- Rolex signed steel buckle.
- Original and flawless slate gray sunburst dial with gilt applied markers with tritium lume plots next to markers.
- Original hands in awesome condition with lume inserts (hours and minutes).
A bit of history about the Rolex Air-King (excerpt from Beckertime):
A watch born from the struggles of the British RAF in WWII, the Air-King has lived its life in the shadows, a reserved dark horse next to the universally renowned GMT-Masters, Daytonas and Submariners of the world.
While its uncomplicated, naked dial doesn’t have the drama of much of the sports range, its very simplicity has garnered it its own cult following—lovers of watches that do what they do well, and nothing else.
Rolex released ref. 5500 in 1957. this was a new generation of the classic aviator’s timepiece and one that followed a similar path to the Submariners of the era. Debuting with the Cal. 1530 running the show, they tagged the first examples with ‘Super Precision’ text above the six o’clock position, denoting its lack of chronometer status. When the caliber switched to the Rolex Caliber 1520 in 1963, the text on the ref. 5500 also changed—sometimes to just ‘Precision’, or else omitting the label altogether.
In all, the ref. 5500 stayed in production for an incredible 37 years. Rolex barely altered the basic exterior design, even though they updated the movement several times.
As clean and straightforward as it is possible for a watch to be, the Air-King range has always been for those who appreciate the history of Rolex, and the reputation they forged on the back of faultless engineering and timeless style.
When will I receive my new vintage watch?
We try to dispatch every order as soon as possible, but in some cases it can take us up to 48 hours to prepare your goods for shipment. Unless otherwise instructed by you, we will ship your watch with the Spanish Postal Service (link) and we’ll provide you with a tracking reference as soon as the package is delivered at the Post Office. The average shipment within the EU will take approximately 6 working days.
Is the shipment insured?
Yes. Shipping cost includes insurance equivalent to the price you paid for the watch. It does not include shipping costs.
How can shipping costs be the same when the value of the watches differ?
We take charge of the difference between the cost of the insurance and what we charge you. We calculate shipping costs based on a very low insurance value so we can offer you a simple checkout process. The remaining cost of insurance is deducted from our margin.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards, bank wire transfers and Paypal. We rely on Paypal’s secure and trust-worthy platform to manage all credit card payments.
Can I use my new vintage watch as an everyday wearer?
Sure. We only sell watches that are in full-working condition. However you must bear in mind that these are vintage pieces that may be 40, 50 or 70 years old. You can enjoy your new watch regularly under everyday life conditions. We do not recommend wearing your new vintage watch while performing sports or intense physical activities. Also, we cannot guarantee waterproofness in this kind of watches.
Where do you source the watches you sell?
In the land of the magic Unicorns, where everything is joy and bliss. No, seriously, we find most of our pieces at local auctions and flea markets. Some times we discover exceptional watches for sale at specialized forums. Occasionally, they come to us through their former owners who just want to sell them. In the end, we try to bring the most attractive and singular vintage watches to you.
Shipping & Payments
All orders are shipped using Spain’s Post service. You will be provided with a tracking reference number once your order has been shipped. Goods are duly packed and protected to prevent damages.
Please be aware that we may need up to 48 hours to dispatch your orders if they are placed on weekdays. No dispatch on weekends and holidays.
We accept he following safe and trustworthy payment methods:
- Paypal: Pay with credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Amex) or with your own PayPal account. You will be redirected to the PayPal website after confirming your order. There you will have to confirm the payment. After the amount has cleared successfully, you will be sent back to our shop and receive an email from PayPal with your payment confirmation. Your order will be processed as soon as we have received the verification of your payment. Our system will email our order confirmation to you.
- Bank wire transfer: If you would like to transfer funds directly from your bank account, please choose this method when processing your order. Once you complete your order, you will receive an email with bank account details. Your order will be processed as soon as we have received the verification of your payment. Our system will email our order confirmation to you.